mallureverser

Am I right?

mallureverser

HI, all bros…

After attending my exams, I decided to start learning (at least tried to learn) fundas of CS as you advised. [Thanks to all and especially to Kj, CybotX, Nieo, Hades and Debugger to rejuvenate my interest]

What I learned so far…

0. Erased my fragmented knowledge and decided to start from ground up.

1. Number System and Conversion (Decimal, Hex, Oct, Bin).

2. Logic Gates and Boolean algebra.

3. Basic Hardware and working [i/O Devices, CPU, memory (ROM, RAM, Caches, Virtual memory)].

4. CPU in details (going on).

Now I proposed to jump to “C†(I have basic knowledge in vb.net and little about python, so hope it will not take much time.)

Am I on right track or Can you guide me to right?

Why I am posting this?

Not only to correct my self-study, if I am in right track other newbies like me (who stucked at starting point/starting trouble) can follow the scheme.so please comment your opinion and ideas.

Let’s make URET AS URET (University of ReverseEngineeringTraining)

Thanks again to all.

Edited by mallureverser
  • Upvote 1

hades.5

The list which you have made is very advanced for noobs but its good if you want learn real reversing,

and plz share your study articles so that everybody can learn....

you have forgot to mention the most important thing " Assembly Language "...... if you are not learning it then add it to your list.

Grab a copy of "Art of Assembly".you dont have to be a hardcore win32 programmer ,

just get sufficient knowledge to understand codes.

And another important thing get a clear idea about PE structures . jus google it , you will get plenty of

informations about it . this topic is very vast so get some basic ideas, this will help you in dealing with packers....

i hope a new talented reverser will rise from our forum :)

Edited by hades.5
  • Upvote 1

mallureverser

Thanks hades for ur valuable comments...actually i just started only,my aim is to grab as much knowledge as possible about the subject.

@Assembly-How can a RCE student can forget it!..I postponed it ..and learn in depth after my C studies(because I thing after coding a small crackme by myself in C and fry him in olly with the help of Assembly lessons...This idea i got from net and seems nice.)and as per many assembly after C will ease up the study(as it ressebles each other??)

@PE structure--I wish to spend majority of free time (after Assembly) to learn windows internals...

@Lerning materials...there no ONE on a topic.I do searching for a topic and takes notes on note book and reads again and again till i am satisfied..if something doubt, again searches the same which gives much infos about the parent subjects..Surely i will consolidate the notes and share to all in future(as i am not fluent in touch typing it pains)

Thanks again for guiding me..Hope the same in future also.

Debugger

Yes you are doing great man keep it up :) Wish you good luck.

One thing that will help to grasp basics or depth of any subject , is getting good hang of abstracted view of subject.

http://www.pluralsight.com/tag/windows-internals

Yes , Making your own Crackme and Analyzing it with Olly is great.Keep it up. :)

If you need anything regarding material ,send me message. :) I might be able to help you out.

Though I dont know much about RCE.I am more inclined towards programming. :) It forces me to think.There is Good community on stackoverflow for reverse engineering.Hangout there when you time too.You will learn or at least get familiar with other stuff i guess.

• Upvote 1

Kjacky

before start learning collect everything [tools] and some pdf's 

mallureverser

Thanks Debugger and Kj..

How generous u people are!!! U r words boosts my interest towards learing.

@Debugger thanks to pointing to pluralsight

@Kj-I tried to collect many and they scattered around in the system assorted and u r comment made me to sort them in categories..now ican pick any easily..

I will come again as i progress.

• Upvote 1

Blue Indian

Hi bro,

Glad to see that you are trying to learn, you are going right but I would like to mention that you should also learn "Operating Systems" in details. Because there are lot's of things in this subject which you are going to use in reverse engineering like pages, virtual memory, semaphores, threads, kernel details and few more. About assembly programming, leave it for now. You are going good with C, after that start learning few details about Microprocessors first, don't directly jump on higher details, I'll prefer to start with 8085/6, then jump on assembly language and programming.

When all these things are done, read about loaders, PE format and working, ASRL and polymorphic codes and you will be good to start on.

Best of luck...

Ah! one thing, keep doing practicals, only theory is not going to help.

• Upvote 1